Jeera spiced Pulao Rice
- 2 cups of brown rice precooked
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 small onion cut length wise into strips
- 1 small handful of cashewnuts
- 1-2 bay leaves fresh or dry
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and soak brown rice.
- In a heated pan, dry roast the cumin seeds and raw cashewnuts until you get the aroma, taking care not to burn the spices.
- After a couple of minutes, throw in the sliced onion and bay leaves and sauté for a min on high heat mixing thoroughly, turn down heat and a couple of tbsps if hot water and allow onions to cook and caramelise.
- Add salt to taste if needed and mix in the rice.
- Cover and cook on low heat for a couple of minutes. Turn off heat, leave covered until ready to serve.
TOP TIP: Cumin benefits: Digestion, weight loss, blood sugar and cholesterol control. Antioxidant rich bay leaf benefits: brings flavour and aroma to your dish.